Friday, May 20, 2011

Those Other Jones

An additional 275 individuals were participating in the JONES surname DNA group that I had joined. Only two of these matched my 12 marker Panel! What in the world...at least the genealogy world? If we all came from a common ancestor [the first "Adam" Jones], why did not more of us match at the 12 marker testing?

The first question was what was the haplogroups that all these JONES belong? I abstracted the following :

Of the 275 individuals who had joined the Jones surname group, 235 had haplogroups listed. Of these, 209 [76%] were R1b1! [At least most of us shared a common haplogroup.]

The remaining haplogroups were: R1a = 2%, I = 11%, E = 6%, G = 3%, J = 2% and Q = 1/235. Thus, haplogroup R [R1b and R1a] made up 78% of us in the group. Haplogroup I [Scandinavian] were 11%. Haplogroup E were 6% [Central Africa]. Haplogroup G were 3% [Asia Minor]. Halogroup J were 2%. [Middle East]. Only one individual was haplogroup Q [Native American].

To compare this to Wales! [for haplogroup distribution.]

JONES - R1b 76 % I1 - 11% G - 3% E - 6% R1a - 2% J - 2%

WALES- R1b 82% I1 - 6% G - 4% E - 2% R1a - 2% J - 1.5% I2b - 1% T - 1%.

Wow, pretty good match! More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment